Understanding that the main page of Twitter immediately feeds tweets from people you follow and whom they are following too, I have tried to manage the amount of information that gets streamed into my Twitter account. Creating a list is a handy while a tiresome process, it manages to filter the what you choose to include in your daily feed.
(Screen shot of customised Twitter list featuring only accounts I am following.)
Another aspect which I hadn't touched on was the concept of 'tweeting' from conferences and lectures. As encouraged to experiment with by John Terrell and Huan Vo-Tran. I experimented with the process of tweeting from a lecture. The results were anarchic and I found it difficult to summarise points in less than 140 words. Never the less I think there are benefits to this concept, such as the social interaction between audience members of the lecture and being able to comment on the lecture while it is developing (a sort of virtual passing of notes in a lecture space, as to not interrupt the speaker.)
(Screen shot of 'tweets' from a Document Management lecture. Audiences are able to keep track of any activity related to the lecture by including the hash tag #isys1166, also to note twitter does not differentiate betweens lower-case and upper-case when reading hash tags.)


Hi Ed,
ReplyDeleteAs I was reading your post on Twitter, I was keen to hear any other thoughts and likes/dislikes of the social media site. For example, you mention the practicality of Twitter where it is possible to tweet during lectures so that a live feed is both interactive and accessible, are there any negative or annoying aspects to Twitter's functionality? Thanks
Hi Stuart,
ReplyDeleteOne of the annoying things about twitter is it's archiving function. 'Tweets' get piled up one after another so if you aren't logged into to twitter, trying to find a 'tweet' from a user from a few days ago can be exhausting. Also there is less user control in organising the content that gets delivered to your feed.